Sunday, August 28, 2011

Brachy 2

I finally have not only the second brachytherapy session but the very last radiation session behind me! A grrrrreat relief...!

The session itself seemed a bit shorter than the first, but then it may have been psychological, due to the familiarity the second time around. After the session I also had an instruction session as to how to use the dilator provided, just in case I develop vaginal stenosis (tightening of the dear little canal until completely shut - as a result of some serious inflammation). Well, I will consult my husband to see if we could use a more natural methods of keeping the opening accessible... :)

During the day on Friday I experienced some weakness and decided to do some grocery shopping and prepare extra food so I can rest. I just about finished when the kids dropped by to see how I was and to congratulate me for surviving the treatment. Seeing all the food resulted in an impromptu dinner party, and everything disappeared as fast as if we were hit by a cloud of locusts. After which I heard the following remark: "See, I told you there is always enough good food at Mom's..." Bless their souls, it WAS a nice little party!

As a result of the celebrations, on Saturday we had an "hors d'oeuvres day", having toasts, spreads, omelet, salad. I also did some web search about possible long lasting post-radiation problems, and the thing that popped up most prominently was hyperbaric oxygen therapy . The theory is that increased availability of oxygen to damaged cells can increase the chances of healing. I gave it a thought: a session in the pressure chamber costs on the average around $180. The research suggests that there is improvement by repairing damage to the bowel and rectum. Since I managed to reduce the side effects to my bowel, I may not really need oxygen therapy. Instead I do deep breathing exercises several times a day, whenever I remember to do so.

The breathing exercise is quite simple. I exhale forcefully, then breathe in, taking in a nice amount of fresh air, hold it for a few second, exhale fast and repeat. The emphasis is on the "hold it in for a few seconds". This may not be as effective each time as a pressure chamber session, but I hope that doing it dozens of times during the day may cumulatively be of similar value.

No comments:

Post a Comment