Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day #23

If it was not for the two extra days (the long week-end and tomorrow's machine maintenance day( I would be finishing tomorrow. Like this, I have now three days off and then another two external radiation sessions, followed immediately by the brachytherapy. I feel now the negative impact of this whole treatment very strongly. Although I managed to avoid the diarrhea part, I am exhausted, I have pains in the lower abdomen, urinating is now quite painful, and most of all I suffer very much from the rash that covers both my arms.

I went to the nursing station after today's session to ask for advice, but they seem to be non-plussed about it. They agree that it is quite unusual to still have the rash from the CT dye after well over a month, but when I voiced my concern about the possibility of it being psoriasis, they said: "it would be the first in medical history for a CT dye rash to turn into psoriasis". They feel that once all the treatments are over it should get better on its own. They suggested Aveeno lotion to control the itch, Benadryl for when it gets really bad, and some hydro-cortisone cream topically to reduce the bumps. Well, I happen to have Cortate at home (inherited from my late mom-in-law), 1% strength. I tried it today but, while I had it on, I experienced a major flare-up, as far as I guess from eating some chocolate wafers (two offenders - chocolate and wheat gluten). Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment